Day 1: 6/10/18

I am most excited about learning about Cherokee history and culture. I am especially interested in learning about how their history and culture ties into healthcare, such as what their perception of health, illness, and healthcare is. My main apprehension is accidentally offending someone and not realizing it. I have learned that respect is a huge part of Cherokee culture, and I would not want someone to think that I am being disrespectful for any reason.
After doing some research, I have learned that a lack of resources can be an issue on reservations; especially healthy food choices. This can cause children to not receive the proper nutrients they need, and it can cause children to develop diabetes. There is also a problem with drug and alcohol addiction, and this is not only a problem in Cherokee but the entire United States. This can cause children to be more likely to become addicted to drugs and alcohol when they are older because they have been exposed to it their whole life. It can also lead to children becoming separated from their parents and home, which is for the betterment of the child but can still cause issues.
As of right now, I believe Native American peoples are very traditional, and they highly value and take pride in their culture. I think they are open to change that is for the better, but they still hold onto their traditional values and beliefs as well. I hope that they will be open to us coming to Cherokee and wanting to learn more about their culture and system of healthcare.
I firmly believe that everyone has biases/prejudices/stereotypes that they may or may not be aware of. What is important is for a person to recognize this and be more open and accepting. I know that I have cultural biases that I need to set aside in order to have a better understanding of Cherokee culture. Perhaps I am not even aware of some of the biases that I have. But that is why I decided to come on this trip; to expand my knowledge of not only Cherokee but Native American culture, and to understand how I can better take care of patients who are of a different culture than my own.

Comments

  1. Hey Hannah! I completely understand what you mean about not wanting to offend anyone. I felt the same exact way! I was actually very surprised by how open and sharing they were with their history and their cultural experience. They are definitely very prideful and I am very happy we got to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very interesting to to see your initial concerns and read how you and others were surprised in a good way that this was not an issue. You demonstrated interest and respect and in turn were seen as someone with whom they could trust to share a bit of their story with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts